CPI is working to develop a model 21st Century school in partnership with public education. We want to leverage our experience and other best practices in hands-on, student-directed learning to teach all of the knowledge and skills required to thrive in the 21st Century. This demonstration will be used to facilitate widespread adoption as a new learning approach for the modern world.
Vision: We envision an advanced learning environment that empowers every individual to contribute to a new level of leadership, prosperity, and sustainability in our communities.
Mission: Our mission is to provide a student-driven education through real-world applications to enhance academic competency along with critical skills, leadership, and integrity that empower learners to achieve their fullest potential.
Core Learning: Think, Team, Trust
- Belief and understanding in self (confidence with humbleness)
- Independent thinking to creatively solve problems
- Collaboration to co-create better solutions
- Ownership (responsible for self and role in society)
- Value of trust (integrity to self, associates, and society)
- How to learn (develop knowledge and skills as needed)
- Love of learning (make learning fun)
Guiding Tenants of the New Learning Environment
Learn While Doing: Give students an ever more challenging series of situations where they learn on their own initiative while addressing real problems, so they gain confidence, competence, and leadership experience along the way.
- Students in charge (student driven)
- Teacher as facilitator (just enough scaffolding to guide students)
- Students learn from each other (collaborative learning)
- People support what they help to create (student choice)
- Resources and mentors from the community and the world (Internet)
- Rows and desks replaced by caves and commons
- Blackboards filled by teachers replaced by Storyboards developed by students
- Bells and grade level divisions replaced by organic schedule
- Culture with many rock stars
- Traditional grades replaced with rubrics, portfolios, self assessment, and just-in-time narrative feedback
- Safe, respectful, nurturing environment for learning (love)
- Impact education by serving as a hub to share learning with universities and other schools
- Impact the community by serving as a hub where innovators gather, connect, and address issues